Sunday, May 22, 2016

In the garden of good and messy


I promised I wouldn't update my garden posts until the end of the month, or the first part of June.  Because so much has happened since I last showed the garden, I thought, because there was a lull in the storms, hail, and high winds, I would show you what I've accomplished in my veggie garden and flower bed.


My two mint plants (black pots on left and right of photo) look like they will be back, even after I feared I had lost both. 

The plant in the middle pot is my lone bell pepper I bought at the garden center.  I had no room for it in the ground, so got desperate.  The last time anyone saw that black pot, it was filled with ants, which are now thankfully gone.

The two large white pots in the back have mesclum starting to sprout.

The pots in the back part of the photo are from left, the other pot of mesclum, a new sage to replace the one I lost last winter, and spicy thyme, which apparently died when I brought it outside and didn't give it time to acclimate to the sun.

The two white pots in the lower part of the photo are sporting mint. 

One is lemon, one orange.  They were from the garden center.  You don't have to tell me I have a lot of weeding to do, which I will start as soon as I put my camera away.

Sage and now dried up thyme.

Now we're getting into the basils and cilantro.  In front is rosemary, which is doing well after it was released into the garden a few weeks ago.

The row of white pots holds either sweet basil or cilantro/coriander.   The pot at the far back is my lavendar, which may or may not make it, since it also was put into the sun too soon.

The row of black pots hold the basil I purchased on herb day, while the front black pot holds stevia. 

I finally got all my tomato plants in the ground.

On the left are the two Romas I bought on Herb Day and on the right are the Sweet 100 plants I got at the garden center.



I definitely need to thin the radishes which are surprisingly plentiful.  

Of course, I had to take a photo of the overall garden, which is 10 feet long by 4 feet wide (3,05 meters X 1,22 meters) and even holds a compost container at both ends.

I can't forget my blackberry, which started quite small, but has now

taken over the entire back fence.

The blooms are incredibile.

Aren't they beautiful?

The blackberry flowers outshine my flower bed, that's for sure.  The flower bed doesn't look too bad here,

but when I back up a bit, you can see how destructive the winds and hail have been.

My once lovely decent flower bed is now badly in need of damage control.

At least my grass isn't as high as my neighbor's.

In a way, it looks a bit like an alpine garden in this area.

Thanks for visiting today.  I hope to be by for a visit later today, but right now, I am either working hard in my craft room on art, or working in my veggie garden trying to show all the weeds and sprouting seeds who is the boss.  It's apparently not me, though.  Again, I appreciate your visit.

16 thoughtful remarks:

Helen said...

my grass needs cutting too! enjoy your crafting or gardening!

Valerie-Jael said...

You are doing really well i your garden, it must be a lot of work, made harder by bad weather, weather damage and ants. Glad they have gone somewhere else now. Have fun with your herbs and blackberries, the flowers are beautiful. I often pick the wild ones from the fields at the back here, they make such lovely jam! Have a great day, hugs, Valerie

Pen Sunshinepen said...

Wonderful to see what you have been up too. I am just in from the garden - picked some rhubarb today. :)

Got some wonderful news Mrs Pheasant has hatched her eggs and with have little ones in amoungst our forget me nots.

xxx

Nancy said...

An impressive start to summer's bounty!

Divers and Sundry said...

I love your garden updates :) I keep meaning to do a post on my little patio. We're ahead of you seasonally, and I have some flowers already. I love that you have room for blackberries. I'd love to grow some fruit. And your front garden space is always wonderful even when you claim there's so much work to do :) I look forward to seeing your progress through the spring and summer.

My name is Erika. said...

Love your garden photos today Elizabeth. Hopefully they survived the hail and luckily no tornado your way. :) My gardens are pretty weedy too. I bought some flowers to do some pots on my deck on Friday. I promised myself some art time this morning, and then hopefully it won't be raining so I can go out and plant them this afternoon. Time to get a few more yard chores done. I love how lush everything looks in your photos, as we are definitely a few weeks behind. Today is hubby is going to try to put the new plug in his boat engine and so keep your fingers crossed that no other damage got done or he is going to be very hard to live with. One, he won't have this boat to use and 2, the repair will cost him money and both of those things really bring him down. Have a great rest of your weekend. Hugs-Erika

Anonymous said...

It's pretty hard to garden with hail and high winds. UGH. Rosemary is thriving and mint while it can be wild is a plant I love, any kind of mint relative. Always cheery and growing. I have some lovely catmint and the small purple flowers are charming. Got a few more tomatoes to get into big pots today and a few dahlias for some color on the deck. Have fun with the garden. xox

Carol said...

Your garden is off to a good start :) I have been working hard for 2 days getting the rest of the veggie garden prepared and I'm almost there :) Now to get back to the flower gardens ♥♥♥♥ My straw bales won't be ready to plant until next weekend which is very late for me...The home made bales will get planted tomorrow or the nest day :)

Rita said...

Everything is sprouting and looking good! :)

Sami said...

There´s always so much to do in the garden Elizabeth!
The blackberries flowers are so pretty.

froebelsternchen said...

Your spice garden looks fantastic - I adore all the work and knowledge you put in it and the other parts of your garden look so good as well!
I can see with how much love you grow all that!
Amazing!
Happy new week Elizabeth!

pearshapedcrafting said...

Your herb garden is looking great - my mints -spearmint, chocolate and pineapple (at the caravan) are going crazy) It never fails to amaze me that no matter how hard you cut some plants back that bounce back again! I thought the frost had killed two of my shrubs a couple of years ago but they are back this year looking so healthy - glad I didn't dig them up! Those winds certainly did give your front garden a battering but I am sure that you will soon put them to rights! It's looking as though we'll all be round to yours for blackberry pie come the Autumn!! Hugs,Chrisx ps trying to put an e-mail together for you, maybe by Wednesday, when I should know a bit more!!

~*~Patty S said...

Your blackberry blossom photo is exquisite E!
Perfect spot for it along the fence too.
Gardening takes so much time and energy.
Yours is looking great and full of promise.
We had a FEW hours of sun today...but the skies are dark and I just heard thunder...rumble rumble.
Think I'll go play in my art cave until it blows over.
Happy Monday to ya.
oxo

Sandra Cox said...

I did not realize there was orange and lemon mint!
I planted a sprig of rosemary but regret not getting a bigger pot. This is like a little window plant.

Jeanie said...

It's coming along well. I didn't realize blackberry had such pretty flowers and I love the radishes. Pretty much all I do is herbs and flowers and leave the veggies to Rick!

Dianne said...

Fun to see your garden taking shape...those pots look like they are a pretty big size and wondering how heavy they are to move? it's all looking very good I think...sorry to hear the weather has been so severe, but looks like your Hostas are thriving. I am just not much of a gardener, so am impressed by your efforts!