Monday, October 16, 2017

Update on Rit dyed fabric experiment


Thankfully, no fabric or container was harmed in the making of this post!  The lighting in my dining room, however, left something to be desired.  Do you have no idea what that first sentence was in reference to?  Here's the link showing  how I nearly burned down my basement dyeing fabric last week.

Yes, this has been ironed.  If you were to run your hands over the fabric, you would see it is perfectly flat.  This is a mop-up piece.  The amount of dye color left on the black plastic was mopped up using this piece.

This is the reverse.  Not sure which side I like better.  Merging all the colors together turned this piece to a purple/gray.


Here are a couple of close-up shots.
 
This is the piece I actually created.  Even though I used NO BLACK this time, I was shocked at how dark the piece turned out.  This is actually the back side.

This is the front side.   I tore the fabric so I could make quiltlets to send friends for Christmas.  I had planned to tear the fabric from the short side so each quiltlet would fit in a 6 inch by 11 inch mailing envelope.  However, the fabric is so dark, I'm not sure I can work with it as a background.  It might work as a foreground, but right now, I'm not sure how to deal with it.

Again, horrible lighting in my dining room, but you can see I used red, green, wine, tan, and blue in this piece that turned to mud after I scrunched it together.




Close-ups of the back side.

A dismal failure in my opinion.  I'll keep working on this problem, but right now I have other projects that take precedence.

Thanks for your visit today.  I appreciate it, even though I see no use for these two dyed fabrics in the near future.  Maybe you see something I don't.

19 thoughtful remarks:

Valerie-Jael said...

I am sure you will be able to use the dyed fabric in a project sooner or later, but sometimes things do just get away from us and turn out differently to how we imagine. But at least you tried! Have a great new week, hugs, Valerie

kaybee said...

These pieces may not have turned out as you wanted, but not a failure in my opinion! I love the rich colouring and think it is quite autumnal, so you could cut into leaf shapes and use on a autumn (or fall I think you say) project. xxx

Dortesjs said...

aww your funny..no fabric or container was harmed, i LOVE your doings today..stey are stunning love love love

Özge Başağaç said...

I think the results are beautiful. You can always work with light colored or white paints on dark backgrounds. I am glad the fire was put out in no time. Happy creating :)

My name is Erika. said...

This piece is gorgeous. I think mopping up is the way to go.It gives such a great and unique coloration. And I am very glad to hear that everything is intact with no smoke, flames or ruined fabric, (or anything else). :) Happy new week my friend. Hugs-Erika

froebelsternchen said...

In my opinion all three pieces turned out good. It is always the way you look at something that makes the difference.
My favourite is the first mop up piece - there is so many white space in there- I guess that it is what it makes so pretty for me. You will find a good use for all that wonderful dyed fabric - I am sure!
Happy start of the new week - we had no power for two hours just now - a mishap at one of the many roadworks here I guess- annoying - fortunately they get it working again relatively quick.
Happy start of the new week my friend!

CJ Kennedy said...

Red and green are complementary colors so when mixed together in proportion they will make a nice grey, but most times they yield a muddy brown. Not sure about dye, but maybe if using complementary colors, use one color and let it dry thoroughly before dying with its complement? I've never worked with dye so don't know if even when wet, a dyed area will run.

RO said...

No fail at all in my opinion! I'm with Kaybee and get a picture of an autumn vibe at night, which I really like. So these colors work quite well. I remember getting the Rit and dying almost everything in sight when I was much younger (lol), but no way do I have the courage to do that again. (lol) Kudos on a job well done and Happy Monday! Hugs...RO

Cindy McMath said...

I think the fabric turned out pretty nicely. I think you might be feeling disappointed because you are thinking the one that ‘got away’ would have been so much better. I didn’t read that whole post as I wasn’t looking for a fabric dying ‘how to’ - glad you’re ok. What a fright! I see I’ve gotten behind on your posts again and have just caught up. I love the deep oranges in particular!

Nancy said...

The fun of the experimentation is the surprising results- I like your dark piece. And the mop-up fabric, the back is a bit more subtle and i think I like that side best. For your small quilt projects for Christmas- a couple of thoughts: go ahead and tear the pieces of fabric but make them a bit smaller than you planned and then layer them on top of a lighter background fabric, add some lace/doilies/fancy fabrics on top of all, add a vintagey Christmas image (maybe a transfer) on top of all and stitch it up! Or, add lighter colors of paint or ink with stamps- I'm picturing bubble wrap dipped in light paint and stamped on the surface. You could have some more experimental fun with this!

Divers and Sundry said...

"Dismal failure"?! I think not! I'd frame a piece. Or attach it to a canvas. It'd be wonderful displayed on a wall. I really like the pattern and color you got.

Sandra Cox said...

I like this color combo. The red really jumps out.

Birgit said...

It is not a failure just a different style from what you imagined in your head. I actually see lots of fall colours. you can draw leaves throughout it and even grapes hanging down. I like it

Meggymay said...

My thoughts on these pieces of fabric are that you are being hard on yourself. To me they look fabulous. All different, rich colours, wonderful abstract patterns. The are awesome.
Yvonne xx

johanna said...

your dyed fabrics all look FABULOUS!!!

Kate Yetter said...

I absolutely love the final outcome of this dye experiment! Although you may view it as a failure I think you have some great pieces here. I hope that you are happy with your next experiment and look forward to seeing your results!
Kate

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

I'm liking the look of this Elizabeth, must go and have abetter look at what you've been up to. Happy crafty week, Angela xXx

sheila 77 said...

It doesn't look too dark on my screen, although of course the screen is backlit, but it does look fantastic, I would love to have dyed that piece.
Glad to hear you didn't burn down your basement.

kathyinozarks said...

dyeing is always fun and is always a surprise too never know how it will turn out-I think this pieces turned out awesome with lots of possibilities for its use--I am off to read how you almost burnt your house down-yikes! thats why I don't make lye soap lol